In today’s world, with most content knowledge readily available on the Internet, teachers are no longer the sole repository of knowledge. Aware of this fact, at BVV, we focus on teaching for deeper understanding and transfer to help our students meet the demands of the 21st century and the VUCA(volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous) world. Therefore, we balance our focus between knowledge-driven teaching practices and teaching for understanding and transfer. By balancing the focus, students will be able to: (The goals may be exhibited differently at different grade levels)
- Explain their learning in their own words and justify their answers as and when required.
- Apply their knowledge to real-life situations.
- Analyse and interpret a situation or solve a problem based on their subject knowledge.
To achieve these goals, during the teaching and learning process, teachers will:
- Uncover big ideas that are central to the understanding of the subject.
- Uncover students’ potential misunderstandings (through formative assessments and feedback).
- Create opportunities for transfer of students’ learning by developing assessments and tasks/projects based on the big ideas.